Tuesday, July 25, 2017

My Spiritual Journey: Beginnings


I saw God in nature way before I ever saw anything in a book.



My introduction to God was great. A rainbow colored river flowing with warmth. It was undefined, just like the voice at the rainbow river, but I still felt it was that something that was out there – something that was not the same as myself or other people. It was good. But at the time I had no words for it. 

There were also images that seemed to communicate something to me.

There was a painting someone had done, and it was on display at the church. The painting was amazing, lots of colors. There was a river in the painting, and it had colors as well, so I imagined someone else had seen the same river I had seen. I didn't know how paintings came about, but I imagined it was the same river.

I looked at that painting every chance I got. And sometimes I would just stare at it in wonder. The sky in the painting was great too. It looked the way the real sky looked. I remember going outside in very cold weather, shivering and looking up at the night sky. This was rural Appalachia so there was not a lot of light noise. You could really see the sky.

As I looked up at the Milky Way, the vastness of the sky and all the stars, I felt that same thing I had felt at the rainbow river.

Another thing was the view near my house. The mountains were layered and you could see lots of hills. We were halfway up one mountain and you could see the valley and the layers of hills and mountains across the way. The mountains faded into the western sky, there was no end to them, they just faded away.

In the fall especially, the sun would set between two particular mountains. All the leaves were changing and the mountain was alive with orange, yellows and reds. The sunset also changed the sky to various shades of red, and combined with the visual of the mountains. There was also a blue shade of the mountains in the distant horizon as the sun set, as the reds in the sky faded.

The sunsets also gave me that good feeling. Those colors became my new rainbow river.

The only frustrating thing was, I couldn't talk to anyone about this. When I tried it wasn't understood or taken seriously. It could also be that I didn't know how to articulate it and also didn't know what I even wanted as a response.

Somewhere along the line I started hearing about God. Parents, adults in general, going to church and hearing the stories. I liked the stories. Noah and his ark. Father Abraham, and Jesus. Joseph and his coat of many colors. That always made me think of the river of rainbow.

God had created the world in seven days.

And I knew that it was the same one that had spoke to me at the rainbow river. So now I had a name for the voice, a name for the feeling.

I still knew nothing about this God, but I felt good whenever I thought about it, especially if any of those images were close by.


http://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=1029465&u=1334164&m=72716&urllink=&afftrack=


Click on the ads to support this site.






No comments:

Post a Comment